Thursday, January 1, 2009

cliche: dance like no one's watching


There was a time when I was terrified to dance in front of anyone. I missed many an after-school wall-clinging, at least one grinding 8th grade dinner dance, and several semi-formal "balls" before I silenced the self-critical voices in my head and got with the program.

These days, you might find me sitting on the sub-woofer at Kitty's before you'll find me in the craziness Marty and Matthew create on Saturdays, but that doesn't mean the voices are back. Honestly, it probably means that my feet hurt a little in the tall shoes, and it's much more fun to drink wine from an enormous glass than to shake it with the best of them out there.

But put me in my sweats and fuzzy socks and bump some girlie music on my little speakers in the living room, and I couldn't care less whose eyes are on me. The trick about dancing like no one's watching is to remember that it's much more fun to imagine that they are. Bonus points for stuntin' in the mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment