Monday, January 12, 2009

closure

Part of why I started this blog was to have an outlet for some of my end-of-2008 grief and heartache. That's been working out well. I'm prioritizing my own happiness, which is a big deal, especially since a lot of 2008 (and let's be honest, most of my life) has been about caregiving for other people and prioritizing other people's needs. I'm not going to pretend that looking out for my folks isn't a huge part of who I am anymore, or that I've magically started ignoring phone calls and neglecting my work, but I'm actively thinking about my needs in the mix these days. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but I have.

In that vein, I'm realizing that there are some things and some people that I unintentionally left behind in 2008, and now that I've noticed that, it's intentional. Thanks, calendar, for the commonly accepted hav'dallah (separation). Good luck in whatever you're doing, people who didn't make it to 2009 with me.

Maybe that doesn't sound like a pick-me-up. But for real, I feel a thousand pounds lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment