Monday, January 5, 2009

little family

Fania and Mom, 2009.

My parents always told me that I inspired them to work harder, be better people, and set a good example. I'm lucky to have a mother who continues to be an inspiration to me, and to many others in Oakland. Sometimes it's been hard to share her with 20,000 or so constituents, but I'm grateful to have a role model so easily accessible.

Today, my mom was inaugurated for her fourth term as the City Councilwoman for Oakland's third district. Today, my mom stood up in front of her colleagues and our community and implored them to work hard, be better people, and set a good example for all of us. Today, my pride in my family and our impact on Oakland and the people of Oakland swelled a little more. And today, as genocide and injustice plague so many people in the town and around the world, my faith in our ability to counter that with love, wisdom, and community multiplied again.

No comments:

Post a Comment